OFTEC is the leading competent person registration scheme for oil heating and cooking technicians. It’s a reference point for customers when selecting a technician, making registration with OFTEC the best way to demonstrate your competence and win new business.
Oil is used for heating or cooking by around one million homes in Great Britain with a similar number across Ireland. It is one of the most popular energy choices for households off the mains gas network, is cheaper than its main competitors and has an excellent record for reliability and safety. As a result, oil is certain to remain a popular heating choice for many years to come.
Scopes of Registration
- OFT10-105EInstallation of oil combustion appliances, heating and vented hot water systems.
- OFT10-600aInstallation of oil storage tanks and supply systems to fixed combustion appliances.
- OFT10-101Commission, service, maintenance of single stage pressure jet appliances.
- OFT10-102D/WCommission, service, maintenance of vaporising burner appliances (D = dry systems, W = wet systems).
- OFT10-201Commission, service, maintenance of multi-stage pressure jet appliances (i.e. commercial use).
- OFT107Installation of unvented hot water systems.
We also offer Non-operative oil registration covering the scope above.
The qualifications you need
Training and assessment for oil registration is available from a network of OFTEC approved and accredited training centres. If you are being assessed through one of these centres you will need to book your assessment and attend to be assessed. During the assessment you may have to take written and practical tests, so you may want to take training first. After you have passed the assessment you will receive a certificate and you must have this before you apply for OFTEC registration.
Ready to apply?
Click on your region below
Apply online (United Kingdom)
Apply online (Republic of Ireland)
If you would prefer to complete the form offline, click here to download a form or request one by post.